About NMB Library

The North Miami Beach Library began as a part of the City of Miami Library system in June 1959 inside a storefront on NE 163rd Street. In 1960, the library moved and expanded to two storefronts at the corner of NE 19th Avenue and NE 169th Street.

The city severed its relationship with the City of Miami's Library system in 1961 to form an independent library with a staff of two and a budget of $25,000.

New Library

In 1964 North Miami Beach voters passed a bond issue to build a permanent library structure. The city dedicated the 10,000 square foot stone and wood facility in 1965, naming it the Lafe Allen Memorial Library. It was built at the present library site on Hanford Boulevard (NE 164th Street) and NE 16th Avenue. The new library opened its doors with 6,000 volumes for the reading pleasure of 4,000 registered cardholders.

Growth

By the building's tenth anniversary in February 1976, the library had grown to 46,000 volumes and 10,000 cardholders. A 1981 addition expanded the library to 11,200 square feet.

Additional Expansion

Another expansion and renovation project began in 1991, increasing the structure to its current size of over 23,000 square feet. This project was completed in 1994.

Use of the library continues to grow.