Budget Review Commission
Quorum; Compensation; Meetings
Four (4) members of the Commission shall constitute a quorum necessary to hold meetings and take any action. Members shall serve without compensation. The chairperson may call meetings of the Commission or meetings may be called by written notice signed by four (4) members of the Commission. The Commission at any meeting may fix and call a meeting on a future date.
The committee shall consist of 7 members appointed by the Mayor and City Commission. All terms shall commence on June 1, and all appointments shall be for 2 years except for appointments to fill unexpired terms, which appointments shall be for the remainder of the unexpired term.
Qualifications of Members
Members of the Commission shall possess demonstrated competency in budget and fiscal affairs.
Members shall be residents of the City of North Miami Beach, except as otherwise specifically provided. Should any Board, Commission or Committee member move outside the City limits during the term of his appointment, he shall automatically immediately be removed from the position he holds.
Duties & Powers of the Commission
The Commission shall have the following duties, functions, powers and responsibilities:
- To serve in an advisory capacity to the City Commission with respect to the continuous review of the City's budget.
- To make a continuing study of the fiscal and budget matters of the City.
- To report and make available to the City Commission any completed written studies and recommendations affecting the budget and fiscal affairs of the City from time to time.
- To perform such other duties as may from time to time be assigned by the City Commission.
Limitation of Powers
The Commission shall be purely advisory on nature and shall not have any power or authority to subpoena or compel the attendance of witnesses. The Commission shall have no power to appoint City Officers or employees or to make policy decisions.
Removal, Replacement of Members
- Should any member of any Board, Commission or Committee fail to attend two (2) of the three (3) consecutive meetings without due cause and without prior approval of the Chairperson, the Chairperson of that Board, Commission or Committee shall declare the member's seat vacant and certify same to the City Commission. A replacement shall promptly be named by the City Commission for the remainder of the unexpired term.
- Any member of any Board, Commission or Committee may be removed with or without cause by the City Commission.
For more information on this Committee or to apply for membership, please contact the City Clerk's office at 305-787-6001. View the Application for Municipal Appointment to a Board, Committee, or Commission (PDF) here.