The Civil Service Board was created and established under the provisions of Ordinance No. 79-20, 2018-2 on September 4, 1979 to make and adopt reasonable rules and regulations governing the administration of civil service of the City of North Miami Beach.
The Civil Service Board shall make and adopt reasonable rules and regulations governing the administration of civil service of the City of North Miami Beach, including but not limited to, provision for appointments to the classified service, suspension, removal, leave, merit rating, promotion, demotion, appeals and other such matters as the board may deem necessary to the operation of the civil service.
The Civil Service Board is comprised of seven members, each serving two year terms.
- 5 members shall be appointed by the City Commission and shall be qualified electors of the City, appointed for two year terms. Members shall serve until their successors are appointed and qualified.
- 2 members shall be elected from the Civil Service regular Status Classified employees to serve for a term of 2 years, as follows:
- One member shall be elected from the qualified employees of the Police Department by the qualified employees of the Police Department.
- One member shall be elected from the qualified employees of all departments other than the Police, by the qualified employees of all departments other than the Police.
- Elected members of the Board shall serve until their successors are elected and qualified.
For more information on this Committee or to apply for membership, please contact the City Clerk's office at 305-787-6001. View the Civil Service Board Application (PDF) here.