CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 / COVID-19
Emergency Order No. 4 - Recommending Individuals to Shelter at Home, Limit Movement & Group Exceptions In an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19 to the greatest extent possible and to work to ease the impact of those infected on the City’s first responders and healthcare facilities and providers serving our community, the City deems it in the best interest of public health to issue this additional emergency order with the following measures: All persons living within North Miami Beach are strongly urged to remain in their home. To ensure the City continues to advance safety measures for the benefit of its residents and all of Miami-Dade County, the City Manager has issued the following additional emergency orders: Emergency Order No. 4 - Recommending Individuals to Shelter at Home, Limit Movement & Group Exceptions
Emergency Order No. 3 - Additional Emergency Measures Regarding Short-Term Vacation Rentals
The City, like much of the County, continues to see an influx of travelers and visitors to the area. The City is also seeing individuals congregating without observing social distancing guidelines recommended by the Center for Disease Control, the State of Florida, the County, and the City, in their respective orders. To ensure the City continues to advance safety measures for the benefit of its residents and all of Miami-Dade County, the City Manager has issued the following additional emergency orders: Emergency Order No. 3 - Short Term Vacation Rentals
Emergency Order No. 2 - Curfew in Effect for North Miami Beach
In accordance with the guidelines set in place by Miami-Dade County, a curfew is in effect for North Miami Beach between the hours of 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. For full statement: https://conta.cc/2Ug0N24
Emergency Order No. 1 - State of Emergency Declared in North Miami Beach
Due to the growing threat of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and consistent with the State of Emergency signed in Miami-Dade County, City of North Miami Beach City Manager Esmond K. Scott and Chief of Police William Hernandez declared a State of Emergency for the City of North Miami Beach late Thursday PDF Download , March 12, 2020. The State of Emergency went into effect that day at 6 p.m. and is a means to take all prudent and lawful actions necessary to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the community.
Miami-Dade County Public Schools Closed
Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho announced on Friday, March 13 that Miami-Dade County Public Schools will be closed to students this week, but the community feeding plan will be in place at school cafeterias. For more information, please visit http://covid19.dadeschools.net/#!/
Miami-Dade County Community Centers For Seniors
Miami-Dade County’s EOC announced that all Miami-Dade County community centers that serve seniors will close at the end of business on Monday, March 16, 2020, until further notice. Seniors who participate or receive meals as part of a meal program at a community center that serves seniors and have NOT been contacted by a center to schedule meal delivery to their home may call 311 to join Miami-Dade County’s meal delivery program for seniors. Calling will help ensure a continuation of this vital service.
Due to the growing threat of COVID-19, please be aware of the following impact on City events:
All city events for the months of March, April, May, and June are canceled. Bike305 and the Job & Career Fair have been postponed. For a complete list of those events, please visit our website.
As a precautionary measure in response to COVID-19, the following meetings scheduled for the month of March, April, May, and June have been canceled.
- City Commission Conference - Tuesday, March 17, 5 p.m.
- Commission on Aging - Wednesday, March 18, 10 a.m.
- Redevelopment Advisory Board - Thursday, March 19, 5:30 p.m.
- Education Committee - Thursday, March 19, 6:30 p.m.
- Civil Service Board - Monday, March 23, 5:15 p.m.
- Library Board - Tuesday, March 24, 6:30 p.m.
- CRA Board - Thursday, March 26, 5:30 p.m.
The City Commission Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 17 will be held at 6 p.m. in the 2nd Floor Commission Chamber of City Hall. Although this meeting is open to the public, we encourage you to watch via live stream here Version OptionsCORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 / COVID-19 Headline.
No other upcoming meetings have been canceled at this time. However, as we continue to receive information concerning the potential spread of the virus, other future meetings may be affected. Stay tuned for updates from the City of North Miami Beach via our website.
Parks and Recreation
- City of North Miami Beach Senior Programs: Senior Meet & Mingle, Senior Luncheon, Senior Trips, Surf and Turf ExcerSwim, and Ceramics are canceled until further notice.
- City of North Miami Beach Adult and Youth Programs: All Adult and Youth Programs are suspended until further notice.
- City of North Miami Beach Space Rentals: Please call the Parks and Recreation Administrative Office at (305) 948-2957 if you have an event space reservation for the month of March.
- City of North Miami Beach Parks and Recreation Facilities: All community centers, pools, Julius Littman Performing Arts Theater and Senator Gwen Margolis Amphitheater will be closed until further notice. All organized programming and afterschool care will be suspended until further notice. All Spring Break Camps will be suspended during the week of March 23 – 27. All outdoor parks remain open. Please contact the Parks and Recreation Administrative Office at (305) 948-2957 for more information.
- North Miami Beach Tennis Center: The North Miami Beach Tennis Center remains open until further notice.
- North Miami Beach Little League: The North Miami Beach Little League has suspended all activities until further notice.
- On Tuesday, March 17, all community centers will reopen temporarily for the Florida Primary Election from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- NMB Library will be closed to the public from March 16 through March 29. Library services will continue to operate daily and provide reference services, holds and renewals from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. via phone at (305) 948-2970 or email at DiscoveryLibrary@citynmb.com.
- Library users who need to check out books may call ahead and pick up at a designated time at the Library’s staff door.
- Library digital service will continue to be offered online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. NMB Library staff will be available during the scheduled hours to walk our residents through electronic access of our online service via www.nmblib.com.
- For updates and tutorials, please continue to follow NMB Library on Facebook and Instagram @NMBLibrary and on YouTube at NMB Discovery Library.
- NMB Library staff will also be available to provide assistance with the 2020 Census via phone.
North Miami Beach Police Department and Police Athletic League (PAL)
- All community meetings, PAL events, and recruitment fair will be canceled until further notice.
- Red Light Camera Hearings set for Thursday, March 19 and Thursday, April 16 are canceled and all cases scheduled for those days are being dismissed.
- Beginning March 25, the hours of operation for the trolley will be Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm, and Saturday, from 9 am to 3 pm.
- Beginning on Wednesday, March 25, City Hall will be open to the public Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 4 pm; with the exception of the Police, these hours apply to all departments, including Building, Planning and Zoning, and Customer Service. NMBWater customers are encouraged to pay their bills online at nmbwater.com or by phone at (305) NMBWATER.
- Waste management will pick up commercial and multi-family garbage an hour earlier starting at 6 am. Residential pick up will remain the same.
- The City remains in close contact with state, national, and local health officials to monitor the latest developments on COVID-19.
- We ask that residents and visitors stay informed and continue to take proper preventative actions.
- The federal income tax filing deadline has also been extended from April 15 to July 15. For more information visit: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom
For ongoing updates visit www.citynmb.com/coronavirus
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed. The CDC recommends several steps that you and your family can take to minimize your risk and help prevent the spread of coronavirus:
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Stay home when you are sick and don’t send sick children to school.
Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then throw the tissue in the trash immediately.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
If you have fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, please seek medical attention.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent contracting the COVID-19 virus, but there are vaccines available to help prevent the flu. Health officials still recommend annual flu vaccination for everyone age 6 months and older.
Reconsider travel plans, particularly to destinations in the U.S. and internationally that have reported an outbreak.
For coronavirus updates and the latest information, visit:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Florida Department of Health
- Miami-Dade County government
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- The City of North Miami Beach has opened a COVID-19 Hotline to provide information & answer resident questions/concerns. Available from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at 305-948-2990 Monday through Friday.
- The Florida Department of Health has activated a dedicated call center for COVID-19, which is available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to midnight. The phone number is 866-779-6121, and the email is COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- State health officials ask anyone who believes they may have been exposed to COVID-19, to call their office at 305-470-5660 before visiting a medical office or healthcare facility.
- In North Miami Beach, nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our residents, employees, and visitors. We urge you to stay calm, stay informed, and take care of yourself and your family.
Visit the link for easy access of all of the executive orders sent out by the Governor to date: https://www.flgov.com/2020-executive-orders/
PRESS RELEASES AND EMERGENCY ORDERS TO DATE
Coronavirus Hotlines and Resources Outside of North Miami Beach
As of March 23, 2020 - 4:00 pm
Public Safety Emergencies
● Police, Medical, or Fire Emergency: 9-1-1
Crisis Intervention/Emergency Counseling Resources
● Greater Miami Jewish Federation Emergency Hotline for emergency counseling, financial aid, food, domestic abuse assistance, and other services: 305-576-6550
● Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-962-2873
● Rape Hotline: 305-585-7273
● Suicide Prevention /SAFENET: 305-358-HELP (4357)
● Department of Children and Families: 305-377-5773
● Elder Help Line (8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.): 305-670-4357
● (national hotline) 24/7 Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. (TTY 1-800-846-8517). https://www.samhsa.gov/disaster-preparedness
● Mental Health Services Parent Assistance Line: 305-995-7100 (weekdays 9 am-5 pm)
To assist students and their families with mental health support.
● M-DCPS Employee Assistance Program: 305-995-7111 (weekdays 8 am-4:30 pm)
To assist with wellness support for employees.
Scams, Price Gouging
● State of Florida Price Gouging Hotline: http://myfloridalegal.com/ 866-966-7226
● Miami-Dade State Attorney Price Gouging Hotline: 305-547-3300
Senior Meal Assistance
● Seniors having problems getting meals: call 311
● Centers for Disease Control (CDC): www.cdc.gov
● Florida Department of Health: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/
24/7 COVID-19 Call Center -- 866-779-6121 or email COVIDemail@example.com
● Miami-Dade County residents who believe they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should call the Florida Department of Health at 305-324-2400
Miami-Dade Public Schools
● School District coronavirus website: COVID19.DADESCHOOLS.NET
● District Emergency Operations hotline: 305-995-3000 (weekdays 9 am-3 pm)To answer questions from students, parents and other community members about school district-related coronavirus response efforts.
● Instructional Learning Plan hotline: 305-995-HELP (4357) (weekdays 8 am-4 pm)To support students, parents, and teachers in engaging in distance learning.
Small Business and Unemployment
● Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Program: https://floridadisasterloan.org/For questions call the Florida Small Business Development Center Network at 866-737-7232 or email Disaster@FloridaSBDC.org.
● Unemployment Compensation (formally known as Re-employment Assistance)
For eligibility requirements and to fill out the online application:http://www.floridajobs.org/Reemployment-Assistance-Service-Center/reemployment-assistance/claimants